Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rye Grass Lawn Care in Arizona...

Ever wonder how some properties just seem to have that perfect winter lawn in Phoenix? Once you have over seeded with Rye Grass for you winter lawn there are a few maintenance items to consider. 

We found some great information for Arizona Rye Grass lawn care and wanted to share them with everyone...

Rye Grass comes in to major types – annual and perennial. Annual grass survives for only one growing season whereas the perennial Rye will thrive for years. These grasses were introduced to the United States from Europe where they have been grown for centuries. Rye grass, no matter if it is annual or perennial is a cool season grass that will do well anywhere outside the southern tier of the United States.

Rye grasses are often mixed with other types of grasses although they provide wonderful ground cover and a lush lawn by themselves particularly in cooler climates. In the south Rye grass can be used to green up a lawn comprised of grasses more suitable for their warmer climate. Rye grass germinates quickly and seeding is relatively simple as no soil preparation is necessary as long as the seed has contact with the soil and is spread uniformly throughout the area to be seeded. Seed spread just prior to expected rain will deliver results quickly and one can expect to see little “grasslings” sprouting after just a few days.

Read entire article here.

Arizona Rye Grass Winter Lawn

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize rye grass only lasted one season. I'm looking into re-doing my lawn for spring because I missed it my time to overseed in fall. I like rye, but I also like Bermuda grass and I found a great local sod farm, Evergreen Turf, that has both, just not sure which will be best for my lawn.

    ReplyDelete